Description of function
To lead the ESG strategy working closely with the Corporate Director of ESG and External Affairs, supporting the companies ESG strategy leadership. Strong executive, relationship building and influencing skills are essential with a naturally collaborative approach - working with colleagues to the agree shared strategic direction.
- Lead the embedding and development of a positive safety – act as a safety champion and support the VI5IT programme.
- Guide and deliver the Energy ESG strategy and support the delivery of corporate ESG strategy in line with the business strategic objectives to maximise valuation.
- Manage and lead the Energy ESG Team.
- Lead the development and delivery of a comprehensive corporate annual ESG report including data collection, verification, stories collation from across the entire business through running the ESG working group. Manage the copywrite and design process. Maintain compliance (and/or reporting) with ESG metrics.
- Deliver regulatory compliance for carbon and energy (eg: Streamlined Energy and Carbon reporting, and Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme) including external data verification.
- Lead the ISO 50001 Energy Management Standard and ensure corporate and site level compliance.
- Promote the ESG strategy across the companies Energy and drive the ESG culture across all levels and functions of the business – Deliver the annual ESG Roadshows programme.
- Promote the ESG strategy across the key Energy ESG stakeholders (investors, customers, government) and facilitate dialogue and collaboration – deliver the annual ESG update to our investment community and customer community.
- Ensure regular ESG reporting to the companies Energy Management Team and support the Managing Director in delivery of the business strategic objectives.
- Support ESG and External Affairs Director with Government engagement, in particular around the ESG strategy commitments to drive a favourable policy environment.
- Ensure regular reporting to the ESG sub committee against key deliverables and concise reporting to ELT, VEx an TopCo.
- Coordinate shareholder ESG reporting to VEL shareholders and finance providers and ESG reporting to shareholders and finance providers
- Responsible for leading the companies Energy charitable donation scheme.
- Lead the development of ESG offers for strategic VEL related bids and for Continuum process.
CAPABILITY PROFILE; KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- An in depth understanding of ESG with a particular focus on its relevance to the waste sector, financial appraisal and understanding of regulatory compliance.
- An understanding of carbon, energy and business emissions including end to end process of energy recovery.
- Knowledge of carbon accounting and wider key ESG metrics.
- Experience in leadership, executive decisions making and strategic thinking along with the ability to influence stakeholders.
- Experience in key stakeholder management and the ability to drive forward the ESG strategy.
- Project management skills.
- Self-motivated, independent and results oriented with the ability to motivate and engage direct and indirect team members and stakeholders.
- Passionate about the delivery of an integrated ESG business strategy, keen to drive purposeful culture with values align with the business purpose of Building a world where nothing goes to waste.
- Demonstrating ESG leadership both internally and externally, leveraging broad expertise and insights.
- Formal management and leadership qualifications.
- Experience working within the waste industry.