Description of function
The Occupational Health Physician is responsible for the delivery of an occupational health service in accordance with the requirements of our client and in line with clinical governance as defined by the Faculty of Occupational Medicine. Working as part of their Medical team you will deliver a wide range of occupational health services to the company’s clients. You will work both in a clinic setting, seeing a wide variety of patients for industry specific, legislative and travel based medical assessments, and at their clients’ sites as required.
You will be required to undertake duties autonomously and in support of the company’s clients, management and other clinical staff. Duties will cover those listed below and any other reasonable
services that you are competent to deliver where requested by your line management.
Occupational Health Clinic
- Deliver clinic sessions Monday to Friday at the Aberdeen clinic.
- Sessions include Medical Assessments, Health Surveillance and Management referrals.
- Provide support to nursing and OH technician in delivering occupational health services as required.
- Act as Medical Review Officer in support of drug and alcohol testing.
- Provide occupational health advice to client companies.
- Establish and maintain relationships which will effectively accomplish the company’s occupational health delivery goals and objectives.
- Participate in continuing professional development and annual appraisals in order to maintain GMC registration.
- Develop and deliver training sessions for other company Clinicians and Administration team as requested by Medical Director.
- Participate in training sessions with other company Physicians, nurses and Administration Team.
- Responsible for own professional conduct in accordance with governing bodies; General
- Medical Council (GMC), Health Protection Scotland (HPS) etc.
Travel Health Clinic
- Act as a resource in the absence of the Delegating Doctor for Travel Health Clinic in support of the Occupational Health Nurse Manager and all Travel Nurses in their delivery of safe, effective, travel health services.
- Act as Delegating Doctor for Travel Health Clinic – this role is subject to separate appointment by the Medical Director and additional training and development in Travel Health.
- Where required support tender submission in regards to occupational health services provided.
- Co-ordination of service delivery.
- Develop and review QHSE policies, procedures and other documentation at the request of management
- Support the administration team where required.
- Adhere to the processes and policies as outlined in the company handbook.
- Comply with company QHSE policies, procedures and systems.
- Contribute to maintaining workplace health and safety including;
- reporting health and safety issues to management
- participating in Safety Walk throughs at management request;
- undertake health and safety risk assessments;
- promptly reporting equipment and building defects to management.
- Contribute to infection prevention and control -
- Complete SIPCEP Foundation training and annual refresher training
- Follow company policies on infection prevention and control
- Create the best possible experience for clients.
- Communicate effectively, this includes the ability to listen.
- Promote positive body language.
- Clinical competence in the area of Occupational Medicine.
- Maintain knowledge of the latest OH best practice, guidelines and professional standards.
- Handle issues and complaints in a positive and calm manner.
CAPABILITY PROFILE; KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- OGUK Pin Number
- Medical Review Officer training
- ARTPS certified (with effect from 2022)
- Yearly BLS and Anaphylaxis update
- HAVS Tier 4 (Desirable)
- HSE Appointed Doctor status IRR/Asbestos/Lead (Desirable)
- MCA Approved Medical Examiner of Seafarers (Desirable)
- Valid OGUK medical/BOSIET/MIST/EBS and ability to mobilise offshore (Desirable)
- Current GMC Registration with a License to Practise (Essential)
- Minimum qualification DOccMed
- AFOM (Desirable)
- MSc or Advanced Diploma in Occupational Medicine (Desirable)
- Member of a Medical Defence Society (MDDUS/MPS/MDU)