Description of function
To co-ordinate all aspects of the bid preparation process and be accountable for the commercial and financial aspects of those bids, whilst ensuring all company policies and procedures are maintained within strict guidelines.
Interfacing with major national and international customers, you will be working within the Commercial Department responsible for the proposal and tender (bids) and pre-qualifications for, often, complex high value Inspection, repair and maintenance related projects (including diving, ROV and survey) within the oil and gas, utility and renewable industries.
An experienced engineer with good commercial (project) management skills, you will need to understand, interpret and respond to complex technical specifications & documentation. You will liaise closely with SHEQ, Operational, Technical and Contracts Departments in order to interpret requirements and present bids to customers and other interested stakeholders.
Organisational Structure –
- The Tender Engineer reports directly to the Commercial Director.
Main Duties –
- To work within the Commercial Department and with the Company Management Team to develop an order winning strategy.
- To review and manage the customers enquiry process into a costed workable solution.
- Quantify and compare alternative solutions that can be presented as part of our submission to the customer
- Understand what the competition will offer to meet the same customer requirements and how they will meet these requirements whilst identifying opportunities and risks during the bid process.
- To submit a detailed response to the enquiry documentation and provide answers/responses to any subsequent requests for clarification
- To develop costing as part of the bid process.
- To act as the company's internal contact point for the customer during the enquiry and bidding processes.
- To identify, develop, negotiate and agree/confirm contract specifications with a variety of external groups, including subcontractors and service providers.
- To attend resultant calls for negotiations with the customer and convert those opportunities into purchase orders / contracts.
- To develop / expand and maintain relationships with the engineers / managers and decision makers within the customer organizations.
- To handle incoming sales calls and enquiries in a busy office, by keeping a prioritized listing of outstanding tasks and when completed, filing the quote and cost file in the appropriate network location.
- To respond to customer questions & requests in a timely and efficient manner.
- To work with the Commercial- and Business Development Managers or customer prospect to ascertain the enquiry information necessary to produce bids including technical product selection, quotation document and costing through costing templates, technical specifications and method statements.
- To offer ‘office based’ commercial/sales support for our Business Development Managers and Commercial Managers.
- To support the Commercial Department with the maintenance and development of the cost, bid-no- bids, scope of requirements, customers and supplier databases, pricelists, industry databases and libraries.
- To prepare and present information for Management review and agreement.
- To carry out regular bid follow up’s using/updating and maintaining the CRM and sales programs
- To clarify subsequent purchase order / contracts and to prepare detailed handover documentation in a timely manner to execute the contract
- To attend and participate in trade-shows, fairs and industry events
CAPABILITY PROFILE; KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor or master degree in (Civil, Mechanical or Marine) Engineering
- 5 years of experience in offshore, subsea, oil and gas, utility and/or renewable industry
- Extensive knowledge of diving, ROV and survey operations
- Commercial skills and experience with commercial offers in an international environment
- Fluent in English, other European languages are preferred
- Team player
- Highly accurate
- Enthusiastic with good social skills
- Customer orientated
- Can work independently and takes initiative
- Flexible, adapt behaviour and work methods in response to new information, conditions or unexpected obstacles
- Entrepreneur, recognize possibilities and have clear judgement and vision;
- Be prepared to travel abroad for short periods